Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Monday, June 8 & Tuesday, June 9, 2009










June 8, 2009
Monday came early as Michelle and Lauren picked Kasondra and I up at 3:15am. We went to the airport and meet the rest of the group. Check-in didn't open until a little after 4:30am so we waited in line. US Airways is in the same terminal as Southwest and so there was a very long line to get through security. We finally made it and went to our gate. The flight to Philadelphia lasted about 4 1/2 hours and was uneventful. We got of that plane and had a 2 hour wait before our 10 hour flight to Greece. Yes, that's right...10 hours! We had lunch and finally boarded our second flight at 4:15pm Philly time.

June 9, 2009

We landed in Athens at 9am local time and went through immigration which consisted of handing our passport to a lady and getting a stamp. We then got our luggage and proceeded out of the airport. No customs, nothing. Very easy. I guess Greece has no high concerns about smuggling illegal items in and is not worried about terrorism. We met our tour leader, Luchia and another group from Texas who was also on our plane and went to the bus. I have included a picture of Luchia. Also here is a picture of Mr. and Mrs. Kearney. Mr. Kearney was Kasondra's teacher for Classical Greece and he is in charge of our group.


We get to the hotel and go to our room. At first we didn't think the room had airconditioning because there was no power but we figured out that you needed to put the room key in a spot by the door to make everything work. I was not going to be happy without air conditioning. It is 38 C today which is 100 degress F! We had 1 hour before we had to meet downstairs again. Luchia does not want anyone falling asleep! Kasondra and I took showers and then hurried downstairs. Luchia then proceeded to quickly walk us about a mile in the heat to the a shopping area where we could by lunch. Then we needed to be back at the hotel by 2pm which gave us 2 hours to eat and window shop.

We are exhausted when we get back to the hotel. I forgot my glasses (well, it wasn't sunny when I left) and so I am looking for a cheap pair but haven't found anything I like. We meet the rest of the group (that's 3 different groups total including us) and Luchia wants to go on a walk again! I decline and decide to work on the blog instead. To use the internet in this hotel, they charge 8 Euros or about $12.00 per half hour. What a rip off! I am going to try to find an internet cafe next time. I am doing the blog and checking e-mail while everyone else went on the walk. We are all tired (right now it's 5am at home) and hot. We might just be getting a little grumpy! I am trying to drink as much water as possible. I bought stamps and sent a postcard to the family today. They probably won't get it until I return but oh well! We are meeting for dinner at the hotel at 7pm and hopefully will get to go to bed early.

Here is a picture of the group walking to lunch. There are so many cars and people but it really is just like a big city in the US except the cars are really little. I also have included a picture of Kasondra in our room in case anyone thinks we are living the high life. Well, I gotta go because this is costing a fortune! I will blog again soon!




































2 comments:

  1. Hi ladies! I had no idea it was so hot over there or that the flight to Greece from Philly was so long! I can't wait to hear about your day tomorrow - hopefully it will be better after some much-needed sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting a picture, just for me! Glad to have you back - call me when you're rested.

    ReplyDelete